According to safety experts, slips, trips and falls are the leading cause of all workplace injuries in the US. These injuries range from minor bruises to severe traumas to broken bones to sprains and lacerations. For this reason, and many others, it is important to recognize and be able to remedy situations around the workplace that may lead to falls, slips and trips. Here are six guidelines to help you create a safer work place environment for you and your employees.
- Follow good housekeeping practices: As we’ve said before, a clean workplace is a safe workplace. Poorly cleaned and maintained facilities often result in a higher incidence of workplace injuries. Moreover, poorly maintained and cleaned facilities are subject to regulatory citations and to higher insurance premiums. For these reasons, you should strive to implement an effective housekeeping program that recognizes the dangers that can be caused by poorly maintained facilities.
- Know where falls are most likely to occur: These places include: parking lots, sidewalks, food preparation areas, shower stalls, restrooms and floors in high traffic areas. Keep these areas clean and clear of debris. Also, use anti-adhesive tape, moisture absorbing mats, and other aids to give visitors and workers better traction on these surfaces.
- Use appropriate signage: Place clear signage in areas that are potential problem spots. For example, if flooring is uneven in a particular area indicate this with a sign. Increased awareness can help prevent many common falls.
- Clean up spills as soon as they happen: Don’t wait until an injury occurs. Clean up spills and stains immediately after they occur and let employees know to warn others as soon as possible.
- Check all flooring for imperfections: Check to see that there are no cracks, holes, tears, etc., in the flooring in and around your workplace. Replace torn carpets, seal cracks and holes in the sidewalk and in hardwood surfaces.
- Create and maintain proper lighting: This one seems like a no-brainer but poor lighting can also attribute to an increase in falls. Use properly illumination for all workplace areas including walkways, staircases, ramps, hallways, etc. Finally, make sure that all light fixtures are working properly at all times.
Ultimately, it is up to workers and management alike to help reduce workplace falls, trips and slips. Our janitorial services in Oxnard can help by making your floors clean and therefore less likely to cause accidents. Our services even include commercial steam extraction in Riverside designed to leave your carpets in the very best condition they can be.